Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Arrived at Last!

Eight thousand five hundred and seventy-eight miles (13,790 kilometers) and 39 hours is how long it took me to get to Bali.


That may sound horrific, and be enough to scare many away from long haul travel, but over the years I have got this travel thing down to an art. I know how to pack light, I wear my compression socks, and I know where the best airline lounges are, so the experience was more than tolerable: I woke up this morning, my first day in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia feeling rested  (no jet lag), with only the need for a decent cup of coffee which the instant coffee provided in the hotel did not satisfy.

It helped that I was flying business class, purchased with Aeroplan points. This was my first experience flying in business, and I have to say, being able to lay flat with a down comforter and my own pillow, wearing the Jason Wo designer pajamas EVA Air gave me, made all the difference to how I felt on arrival. The business class bathroom had L’Occitane amenities, (a luxury French skin care company) and the pouch of goodies they gave me included more products – all designed to give me a luxury experience. I ate exceptional food, drank quality aged Champagne, and drank perfectly paired wines with the three-course meal served on a large pull up table which they covered with a white tablecloth! I mostly appreciated the huge amount of space and privacy I had.

Going back to economy for long flights will never happen again.

Today, after I find myself a decent cup of coffee, I will walk about the city and get my bearings. I am only here for 3 days to look at some villas and decide if I want to come back here for a longer stay. I am in Bali for 8 weeks but have only booked accommodations up until January 20th. This will allow me some time to explore the island to see where (or IF) I want to hang out for the other 5 weeks. I might leave the country for awhile and go to Loas. Having travelled all this way, and with limited points left to buy more business class flights to this side of the globe, it seems prudent to check out some more countries while I am in the region.

I have been to Thailand twice, and Vietnam twice, and India twice, so that leaves Singapore, Cambodia, Malaysia, Loas, Myanmar and Brunei. Accommodations in Singapore are too expensive for me, I don’t really want to go to Brunei – the world’s least travelled to place, as I have been to Bahrain and Dubai and don’t really need to see another grotesquely rich sultanate, and in Brunei they put homosexuals to death. I am not interested in giving them my limited travel dollars. That leaves Malaysia, Loas and Myanmar. Myanmar is not a stable place right now, with ethnic groups fighting the military run government – so I am thinking that is not the best place…

Malaysia is close, is an ecotourism hotspot, and the country has 20% of the world's animal species and four UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Also, I can use my travel club weeks there which helps keep things inexpensive for me. On the other hand, Loas is inexpensive and is known for its beautiful geography.

Tough choice.

For now, I will stay in the moment, as my immediate concern is caffeine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...