Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Island Paradise Day 43

This morning was a cooking day. I am preparing 5 litres of chili for the Chili Cook Off at Bando Beach on Sunday. Should be fun. If I have big cooking things to do like today, I try to do it in the morning because otherwise the heat from the stove makes the house unbearable. The kitchen is a long skinny galley, and quite apart from the living room where the air conditioner is, and if I run the ceiling fan, it blows out the gas stove burners. I am endlessly jealous of my neigbour's kitchen set up: she has solar power so she does all her cooking in the daytime when she can run appliances - and air conditioners - on the sun. No big power bills. Lucky her. Fortunately today was another windy day, so that helped keep the heat in the house at bay.

We were happy to see the sun today because it has been quite cloudy in the past week, and the water is always so much prettier when the sun shines. And since we are running out of days here (only 11 sleeps left), we decided to go snorkel. We purchased full face masks for this trip, and they are really great. They fit snugly over your face, and you do not have to have anything in your mouth. You just breath normally. When you get hit by a wave the water does not get into your breathing tube. Even so, snorkeling in big waves turned out to be not such a good idea. The swells in the water were quite big, and though it was fun for about a half hour, as we literally bobbed up and down in the waves like bouys, eventually I started to feel nauseous, and by the time I got back to the dock I had full blown seasickness. I never puked, but remained nauseous and headachy for quite some time.

So, since I was stuck on the couch for part of the day, I decided it was a good time to clean up my blog a bit. I have tried a number of themes, colours, styles, etc., but decided on something fairly easy to read, and not too busy. I like the look of it, but as I am writing, I have been unable to upload any photos...not sure what the problem is. So, if you don't like the format, just wait a day, it could look different tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...