Monday, June 4, 2018

Island Paradise Day 42

Well today was one of those days: full of the unexpected. First, and most entertaining was while we were waiting for the Neptune’s ferry to take us across the lagoon, we were amazed to see five guys trying to load a golf cart onto a panga. It was hilarious. A panga is a small, flat bottomed boat - usually used for carrying people, or for fishing. Not so much for transporting other large vehicles...I was certain we would witness the boat, the cart, and all five guys going to go into the water.
It was quite a sight and they succeeded in providing equal entertainment at the other end when they unloaded the golf cart. Only in the developing world. I once saw someone in Vietnam carrying a refrigerator on a scooter.

When we arrived at Neptune's we were told to stop leaving "our dog" there when we go to town (aye yaya) and then when we got home we found a large tree had come down in our yard, landing on the corner of the small laundry bodega. I told you it has been very windy here, and apparently this almond tree had had quite enough! (So have I frankly).

Then we got the call all landlords dread...you know the one where they tell you there has been a water pipe break and your house is water logged? On the upside, most of the damage was to the basement suite kitchen, which we had intended on renovating this year when we get home, so now it will be done before we get home and paid for by the insurance company. After talking to the disaster project manager (yes, the property manager had to call in the "disaster clean up" crew), we need a new ceiling, new walls, and new kitchen cabinets downstairs. Funny, those are all the things we were going to replace anyway. The upstairs bathroom also has to be redone – except they won't cover the new shower because it was the old shower that caused the problem. That would be the shower we paid someone to redo just before we left in October. Sigh, again.

Meanwhile, here in paradise, my face is on fire - I think my jaw bone is infected - can bones get infected?? Anyway, all was well with my little periodontal surgery, I have had no pain or problems in a week, until last night, when I started experiencing pain, and seem to have small bumps and ulcers appearing all over my gums...if I didn't know better, I'd think it was mange...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...