Saturday, May 19, 2018

Island Paradise Day 26

Yesterday we had another power outage for five hours and then lost our internet for an additional 12 hours. Cell service was also down, and has been for a few days. It is a weird feeling to be so disconnected – literally. You do not realize how dependent you are – at least psychologically – until these modern conveniences are gone.

Supper making is always fun by candlelight though - it feels like camping - and while Stephane hates camping, I do not. I lived a whole summer at my cabin in Grand Forks with no stove or oven, just a BBQ, an electric frying pan (for rainy days) and a rice cooker. It was a challenge to cook "gourmet" that way, but I love a challenge. Anyway, last night we were very lucky that power was back on in time for bed so we could have a fan on. We have been trying to not use the air conditioner – but some nights it is just too hot and humid, so we turn it on for an hour before bed, and then usually the wind is quite strong, and the breeze and fans are enough. Occasionally I wake up in the night to find Stephane upside down in bed with his face pushed up against the fan. Poor soul - he really is struggling with the heat.

I tried to make bread today and it turned out horrible. It was my second failed attempt. Yesterday I threw an entire batch of dough that refused to rise in the garbage. Must be the humidity. I have also tried to make yogurt three times. I have been doing it successfully for years and yet it has not worked out once! I give up.I have no idea why it is not working.

Tonight I made Indian food – at least that turned out: Garlic okra, spicy eggplant, and pretend lamb balls. Pretend because I have not yet found lamb, so I had to use ground beef. It all turned out really well, I was just sad to not have a nice Gewürztraminer to drink with it. Oh well.

Our fumigation was a success. Every day we pick up a few dead or dying roaches, always turned upside down on their backs. We were told to expect to see dead bugs for up to a week. He also told us that although the termites are not eating the house, they are entering the house through the big stupid “marble tree” (my name for it).

The tree is a tropical pine and it is a pain in the ass. Not only does it drops needles that keep us sweeping all day, and seed pods (marbles) that land on the metal roof all night, but it is a soft and hollow tree that has been used by the termites as a super highway to get from other places further back in the jungle, into our house.

Notice how I wrote "our house"? Interesting. I must be feeling at home here.

About two hours ago, just as I was getting ready to post this, the power went out yet again! Amazing to me that every house does not have a generator or solar power because you certainly need one here. Fortunately the outage was short lived. They had to turn off the power to fix the power outage further down the beach. Something to do with not wanting to electrocute themselves. No problem. We have come to love the ambiance of reading my flashlight. At least it is back on in time to watch the news and turn some AC on in the bedroom, so Stephane can sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...