Friday, December 8, 2017

Fermented Vegetable Sport? - Stephane


Though it was not on my list of things to do or try in retirement, yesterday we started learning to play the fastest growing sport in North America…PICKLE BALL !

I must say, the name Pickle Ball does not inspire people to take it very seriously. I am thinking it has something to do with Squash, the other vegetable sport?

The game is fun enough - sort of a cross between ping pong and tennis. Corrie says the reason it is so popular among retirees is because the big plastic ball with holes it if flies through the air slowly and when it bounces it slows down even more making it extremely easy to run up on it. In fact it is hard to miss it! (Corrie did however find many numerous and humorous ways to miss). She says there was a hole in her racquet and that occasionally her arm would shrink at the last second thus making it impossible to hit). Admittedly, she WAS the cutest person on the court.

We are both feeling the pain in our glutes today. In fact, we are hobbling like a couple if crippled seniors, moaning when we sit, and bemoaning the lack of a bathtub to soak in. As a side note - what's the deal with the lack of bathtubs in this country? We have looked at dozens of properties, and rarely will you see one with a tub. I guess it has something to do with the heat, but if I am to become a Pickle Ball officianado, I may have to reconsider where I live...a tub is a must for my aching body. We will see if the Pickle Ball -outs last. I have never been much of an exercise guy: I tried exercise once and it didn’t take.

Truthfully, I quite enjoyed playing, it was lots of fun, and it is certainly easier than Tennis. We have committed to playing twice a week, and will keep you all apprised of our progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...