Sunday, December 31, 2017

¡Feliz Año Nuevo! Happy New Year!

My 2018 New Year’s resolution is to start exercising my brain every day. They say learning a new language is supposed to do that, so I am already working on this, however, I don’t think it is working. For the second time in just a few short months I have put my clothes on backwards. The first time, my shirt was not only on backwards, it was on inside out!

Today I put my one piece bathing suit on backwards and stood there in front of the mirror wondering why my boobs kept falling out.

Yesterday I went to the community office to sign out some DVDs. I picked out five: a couple of romantic comedies and a few action thrillers. DVDs are handy to have here in Mexico as the internet is not always reliable, so our nightly Netflix streaming is not always possible. Anyway, when I got home, Steph picked up the movies and looked through them and said, “Corrie, we watched this one three days ago!” I looked at the cover, read the back panel, and said, “Seriously?” I am not lying, I had no recollection whatsoever of having viewed that very movie literally 72 hours previously.

There’s more…

We play pickle ball with a group of people here at Los Arroyos Verdes three times a week. I know everyone’s name except for the guy who started it all. I know it is a German name, but for the life of me, I never remember WHICH German name. So on the way there I run through the list with Stephane…”Is it Helmut? Herman? Wilfred? Heinz? Horst? Oh for crying out loud…what the hell is his name?” “MANFRED!!!” Steph replies with more and more exasperation in his voice every day.

He thinks I do this on purpose, but really I do not. Do you think I like having five jars of mayonaise in the fridge because I keep forgetting that I already bought some? Nope, I think my brain is melting; Thus the New Year’s resolution.

I read that Sudoku is one of the most popular puzzle games of all time and is an excellent brain game. If you play Sudoku daily, you will soon start to see improvements in your concentration and overall brain power. I tried it once on the plane and was so bored within 5 minutes I gave up. Now I am not a quitter, in fact, in general I am quite focused and determined, but for some reason I just could not get into it. Maybe I will try crossword puzzles, or some of the online brain exercises. For now though, I will resolve to check my clothing for labels before donning.

P.S. I finally remembered my old last name…it was not Lacey – that WAS the street I lived on. My last name was Lindsay…or was it Lindsey??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...