Tuesday, January 22, 2019

New Beginnings

The new moon is a powerful time for new beginnings. If you were lucky the other night, you had an opportunity to look up and take in the spectacle. Throughout history, cultures around the world have looked to the new moon with awe and inspiration. This week's new moon was a red moon - an illusion of bent rays of light - as well as a "wolf" moon - appearing bigger and brighter than usual. Add to that a total lunar eclipse and it was a night to remember for many.

New moon rituals are often about setting intentions for the coming month. New beginnings give us hope that things can be better. Just think back to how many New Year's resolutions you have made - and broken. Looking forward and treating each day or each month, or each new year as a new beginning is easier said than done. Our past shapes us, informs us, and let's be truthful, holds us back sometimes. We are comfortable with what we know and often hang on to the past for dear life - fearing what might be ahead. Habits are hard to break. New beginnings are the start of something unknown - and that can be scary.

I read a great quote by Joseph Campbell, it said, "We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." He goes on to talk about shedding our skin - and while the analogy is just plain creepy, it is a good one - reminding us that leaving behind some of the "stuff" is not a bad idea.

New moon's are about setting intentions, and I decided that my intent for the coming month is to have more fun! For me, life needs to be fun, because, well, fun is fun! I like fun, and I want more of it in my life. Nothing warms the heart more than a good belly laugh - and in fact, it apparently will add 10 minutes to your lifespan. A good case for nightly giggles under the covers.

I am usually pretty good at cracking myself up - and often do not even need someone else to make me laugh. I love practical jokes too, and have been scheming for the past two weeks on how to make good use of Twiggy, the giant-ass spider living in my bathroom. Twiggy, or Arachnistein as Stephane likes to calls her, is a Tailess whip scorpion. Her body is about 2.5 inches long, and her legs span out at least six inches on either side. To add to her charm, she has big pincers out front, like a lobster (and almost as big). She lives behind our bathroom mirror, and only comes out at night. So going to pee in the middle of the night is an adventure. You stick your hand through the door to switch on the light first, then you slowly peek around the door to ensure Twiggy is not lurking above the door ready to pounce on you. Once you find her on the wall, you can keep a safe distance and go pee. The first few nights I was not sure if the beast jumped or not, and I had visions of her landing on my face while I sat there helpless.

Sadly, there has been no such excitement. If I could just coax her into a big plastic bowl...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...