Sunday, April 29, 2018

Island Paradise Day 7

I thought being out here on the boat access only south shore of Utila would be a bit boring, and maybe that will happen eventually, but so far our days seem very full. By the time we have our coffee and head out for our morning walk, it is usually around 10am, and inevitably on our walk, we bump into people that seem as eager for company as us. So the “morning” walk turns into half a day, and by the time we get home it is well past lunch and time for snorkeling.

This morning we met a Canadian couple from Princeton. They giggled when we told them we were from Oliver. Small world. The just took possession of their home on Treasure Beach (not far from my original lot). They are brave – sold everything back home after only one quick visit here, and they are here to stay full time with no knowledge or experience about tropical living. Hope they like bugs! Today I was sitting on the toilet and a HUGE cockroach scurried out from under my feet! I just about peed myself - actually, I guess that would have been fine since I was on the toilet...Steph went in search of him to declare war, but could not find him.

On our way home from our walk we stopped on the dock near another couple we have met. They also live here full time, but they decided to rent instead of buy. They have a cute little 1 bedoom house on the beach which they rent for $1000 US/month! They came out and greeted us and we all had a swim together. The reef there is quite different than here and we saw an amazing array of fish – including the elusive Rainbow Parrot fish.
When we got home the water was amazing and calm again, so our afternoon snorkel was a great respite from the heat. Just as we were swimming away from our dock to head out to the reef, Steph squealed and pointed, and right below us was a gorgeous Eagle Ray! At that exact moment I squealed and pointed as a second ray swam right by Stephane just to his left, out of his feild of view. I grabbed his hand and we swam together following the lower ray – being sure to stay back out of the reach of his long tail. Eagle rays swim – like an eagle flies - and that is just what he did. He flew up and away from us, then back and around – almost as though he was circling us! It was SOOOOO beautiful! I feel like I am living in a National Geographic magazine. Truly!


After snorkeling I always feel quite exhausted. I think the constant flapping of the legs and arms is better exercise than I realized…and since I have yet to take the yoga mats out of the bag they arrived in I guess that is a good thing.

Last night we had dinner at the neighbours. They are a couple from Alaska that have lived here full time for five years. They have a lovely home with solar power – a real bonus as electricity is so expensive here. We ate grilled Filet Mignon, baked potatoes and some delicious cauliflower side dish. It was amazing, topped with bacon and cheese and grilled peppers and onions. YUM! After supper they asked Steph and I if we would play some music, so we played and sang and a good time was had by all. We have been welcomed here by our neighbours and are invited to a beach party on Thursday...rumour has it Mountainview Drive (our band name back home)will be performing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hanging On

Since arriving in Uluwatu I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of very nice ladies: Taryn from California, and Mette from Denmark. I...